Thursday, December 8, 2011

My New Hair (Tool) Obsession

I’ve always worked to get the perfect “beachy” waves, loose and flowing but not appearing as though I’d actually spent time curling my hair section-by-section. I’ve had some success in the past using a curling iron and wrapping my hair around the outside of the barrel but I still get that crease in my curls from the clip. That’s no good! I want it to look organic and effortless, but like a movie-star all at the same time. Is that possible? Yes it is! I’ve finally figured out the best way -and it’s so easy!!
Enter the curling wand — exit the traditional curling iron.
Last weekend I went to Sally Beauty Supply (with the lure of a free gift with purchase from their sale flyer) and bought a clip-less curling iron, or curling wand. This tool creates perfect voluminous waves without creases caused by the clip on a regular iron. Additionally, if you use a tapered wand the curls are larger at the top and smaller at the bottom- I just love that look! It’s very Taylor Swift and Kim Kardashian~ sassy!
Of course there are various brands and sizes to choose from. I got the Plugged In wand with a 1″ tapered barrel and it’s perfect for my hair http://www.sallybeauty.com/tourmaline-curling-wand/SBS-680640,default,pd.html?cm_vc=SEARCH. *Note: Right now Sally Beauty is offering a free GWP (a mini/travel size iron or hair dryer) when you buy a regular/full-size Plugged In appliance. If you have a Beauty Club Card, you save even more!
My routine to achieve the desired “star” look goes something like this: wash and condition my hair with my favorite Macadamia Oil shampoo and conditioner, towel dry (without rubbing hair and roughing up the cuticle,) and then spray in some Beach Blow Texturizing Mist http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod1450322. Then I dry my hair on a low setting, using a diffuser, and “scrunching” my hair in my hands to activate the wave. When my hair is completely dry I use the curling wand (with a heat resistant glove since I tend to be clumsy at times) to define the curls and make them last longer. I’ve done this a few times now and couldn’t be more pleased with the outcome! Here is a short YouTube video to copy and paste in your browser, giving an example of how to use a curling wand- http://youtu.be/y4NmP5mOBno.

Voilà!

No comments:

Post a Comment